Monday, October 18, 2010

Talking to the kids about it

L and C have had different reactions to the news that the cancer came back. They are processing it differently. L is worried about what she needs to do to help, and how their lives will change. C shared with us that he thought I was going to die and that Baby would die too because I feed her.

Whoa, whoa, whoa!

First we explained I was not going to die, and even if I did, which I am not, Baby would not die either. She is going to get her food a different way, which is the bottle. Then we told him he could help feed her. They both were excited about that and then at the next opportunity they each gave her half the bottle.

We visited with my relatives this past weekend and my 6 year old nephew had many questions for me about cancer. Mainly he was trying to understand it and see how it related to him. I did not mind answering his questions. I think a little bit of explanation goes a long way towards making sense of the world around us.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Jen, I'm sorry to hear your not-so-fun news. You're in our prayers! We love you even though we are far away! Love ya lots. Jacki R.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jacki - I was trying to remember what your son's name was the other day who is 8, I could only remember Joseph's name.

    ReplyDelete