Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Chemo Day Boxes

I tried hard to focus on the positives with kids the last time I had cancer. Maybe it worked, because the only thing they seem to remember from that time were chemo day boxes. To emphasize that chemo seemed like a bad thing that hurt mommy but really was a good thing to help mommy. We put together little gifts and each chemo day they would get a new surprise. It got to where they were getting impatient waiting for the next chemo day.

When we told them I had cancer again, they did not have much to say. The next day though they asked if they could have chemo boxes again. I said sure, we could put packs of gum in or candy this time instead of toys. Then they got carried away with suggestions - the new Taylor Swift cd, a new Lego set, lots of baseball cards, a gift card to Amazon, and maybe a trip to Disneyland. The more expensive their ideas got, the less expensive mine became. I think we ended with me saying they had a stick of gum to look forward to sharing on chemo days. We shall see what ends up happening.

I thought later it might be nice if our friends and family could write them letters and we could those in the chemo day boxes to remind them they are loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment