Thursday, January 12, 2012

72 Hour Kits

C did a natural disaster project (riptides) in his GT class. The teacher then sent home a prepare for disaster checklist as homework, which I threw away thinking it was another paper from church. C tried to do his homework, and found it missing. I sent a note explaining what happened and stated that he would be glad to share the flag color code system in class instead, and I would put him in charge of updating our 72 hour kits over winter break.

We had not updated them since Baby was born since we were consumed with other things. We left the kits in our front room for a week as we gathered supplies. It reminded me of the last chemo treatment I had when I had cancer the first time and we watched coverage of Hurricane Katrina. It was awful to see, and I especially felt for those who were not in the best of health when it hit. I do not know what my health condition will be if we ever have a disaster like that, so I know I can help now by being the driving force in my family to get the kits ready, and easy for others to use. I can never tell how much assistance I can give in the future, but I can do something right now.

Leaving them in the front room over a week, while not what we initially planned, proved to be very helpful. I know I thought of things that I might not of had we just looked at them, got the supplies and put them back the next day. One thing in particular was we included an ace bandage for my lymphedema affected arm, because looking for my compression garments will not be at the top of my list in an emergency and I only have one pair. Also stress and heavy lifting will most likely cause my arm to swell. Anyway putting that in there made me feel like I will be a little bit more able to assist my family in an emergency.

Post Edit:I replaced the ace bandage with short stretch bandage from my lymphedema therapist.

No comments:

Post a Comment