Monday, January 30, 2012

Lymphedema Therapist or It Takes Time

I saw my lymphedema therapist earlier this month, because my hand and arm swelled considerably after the reconstruction surgery. At first I was in so much pain that I did not care. Then I was sick and did not care. Eventually it became a priority. It did not seem like the exercises or MLD or my compression garments were helping.

She was surprised to see me first. Then I told her about the surgery and she understood why I came back. She made minor adjustments to my self MLD(manuel lymph drainage) routine based on my changing body. We talked about my 72 hour kit and she gave me short stretch band aids to replace the ace bandage.

It is always humbling to go to the center where she works, because everyone has much worse physical ailments than I do. My achy swollen hand and arm seem so minor. I do know it can get worse and I have many years for it to get worse, so I want to stay on top of it.

After listening to what I have been doing and checking out my affected limbs, she told me that I am doing the best I can, but that it takes time. She said I could call her if I needed to, but I would not have to see her again until after my next surgery.

A funny thing happened when I signed in. The receptionist was not one that I had seen before. She had me fill out new paperwork. When I asked her a question about something else, she took the opportunity to tell me that I could put my mom or a brother or sister for an Emergency Contact. She explained they needed someone to call if there were problems. As she continued on I realized that she did not think that I was married or even old enough to be married.

No comments:

Post a Comment